Eric Kem, Founder of the Kem Law Firm
"We are highly selective about the clients we work with, which gives our team ample time and energy to create a detailed and airtight demand package. You receive a full-and-fair settlement in the most expeditious way possible."
We know that selecting the right auto accident attorney to represent your claim is a very serious decision and that you have options. For that reason, it’s important you understand the factors that make working with the Kem Law Firm unique, and how that ultimately makes for a stress-free process, with the best possible chance of receiving a favorable settlement on your behalf.
At the Kem Law Firm, Your Case Will Never Be Handed Off to Paralegals
As most of our clients will tell you, they select the Kem Law Firm primarily because they appreciate getting to work directly with our founding attorney throughout the entire claim process.
Unlike many of our competitors, we never pass your case off to junior attorneys or paralegals once you’ve signed. Your main point of contact from day one until you receive your check will be our founder, Eric Kem.
Eric is a highly successful Gainesville personal injury attorney with a track record of obtaining six and seven-figure settlements for Florida residents.
Eric’s clients appreciate working with him because he takes the time to get to know each of them individually — he will seek to understand your unique needs and will consult with you every step along the way to ensure your case is represented how you desire. This ensures that your case doesn’t slip through the cracks by being passed around to multiple staff members, as often happens with larger firms.
10 More Reasons to Hire the Kem Law Firm
In addition to the unparalleled access you’ll have to Eric, the Kem Law firm has instituted the following practices to make handling your case as smooth, efficient, and stress-free as possible:
1. The Kem Law Firm is Not a “Case Mill.” Every law firm operates uniquely, and unfortunately many personal injury law firms simply try to sign every last client who walks through their door. While this strategy may help them maximize their annual revenue, it more often than not means serious cases do not receive the true attention they deserve. Unlike these other firms, Eric is committed to working on behalf of those who need his help the most: those who have been seriously injured and had their lives transformed because of the fault of another party. By being highly selective with whom he works with, Eric and his team never have to cut corners to send out as many demand letters as possible. By only taking serious cases, Eric and his team represent their clients to the full extent possible, which ensures you and your case receive the necessary time, effort and attention to maximize your claim. And at the end of the day, this means that you’ll walk home with more money in your pocket.
2. A quick and automated online intake process. There’s no need to play phone tag or wait days to schedule an intake interview when working with the Kem Law Firm. Simply submit your case details online using our intelligent intake form, and in a few short minutes, Eric will receive your case details directly. Unlike other firms, there’s no need to discuss your case details with multiple support staff and then wait for an attorney to review your case, which may often take a week or more. This allows Eric and his team to work much faster than other firms and ensures we can collect relevant evidence at the scene of the accident before it’s lost, and/or re-interview witnesses before their memory fades. At the end of the day, this ensures Eric and his team have the necessary evidence to develop the most comprehensive demand package possible on your behalf.
3. Electronic document review, signing, and communications. At the Kem Law firm, we pride ourselves in leveraging state-of-the-art technology to save you the time and hassle of office visits or keeping track of unnecessary paperwork. Should you have an interest in working directly with Eric, he will patiently review all documents such as contracts or settlement offers with you via online screen sharing tools. There’s never a need to come to our office for a sales pitch, sign documents, or receive updates about your case. And if it’s necessary to meet in person, but you can’t make it to our office, Eric can also travel to visit you, whether that’s in your home or at the hospital. This saves you countless hours traveling back-and-forth to meet with your attorney and prevents you from having to keep track of lots of paperwork. At the end of the day, this gives you more time to focus on your recovery, and freedom from worrying about scheduling meetings with your attorney when you should be 100% focused on your recovery.
4. Regular status updates and timelines via email, so you know how long your claim will take. You may have heard that it’s not uncommon for attorneys to make themselves available during your initial outreach, but then virtually disappear once you’ve signed. Rest assured, Eric will keep you regularly updated on the status of your case via email each and every step of the way. Eric also responds promptly and patiently to any questions or concerns you may have. Eric’s goal is to keep you informed on the status of your case from start to finish. By choosing the Kem Law Firm, you will regularly receive updated timelines so you always know how your claim is developing and when you might be able to anticipate your check. This commitment to communication and regular updates will provide you much-needed peace of mind during a difficult time in your life.
5. Negotiate down medical costs. As you probably know, it’s not uncommon for medical providers today to try and take advantage of accident victims in their time of need by overcharging for routine medical care required for your recovery. But once you sign with the Kem Law Firm, Eric will notify your medical providers that he represents you, and he will work diligently to ensure all care you receive is not only of the highest quality possible but also never billed above the fair-market rate. In the event the previous care you’ve already received has been over-billed, Eric will leverage his years of experience helping clients with similar injuries to negotiate down your costs, and at the end of the day, this means you walk home with more money in your pocket.
6. Quick communication and advice on any and all settlement offers. Eric will always notify you immediately of any standing settlement offers so that you have full control of how your claim is pursued and so that favorable settlement offer deadlines are never missed. Eric will advise you when it’s in your best interest to settle, continue negotiation, or file suit, as the circumstances warrant. But you always have the final decision as to whether to accept a settlement offer or continue negotiation or file suit. By working with the Kem Law Firm, you’re in control of your case every step of the way. Your claim will never be handled by multiple attorneys or support staff, which causes the opportunity for miscommunication or important deadlines to be missed.
7. Proven expertise representing serious injuries to the full extent possible. Our clients have typically experienced life-changing injuries, and these cases simply demand more time, effort and experience to be favorably represented. At the Kem Law firm, we’re 100% focused on helping only those car accident victims who need our help the most. Eric and his team never overextend themselves by pursuing every last frivolous claim that may walk through their door. By being highly selective about the clients we represent, we can be sure to dedicate the required time, energy and resources to helping the seriously injured receive the most favorable settlement possible. Unlike some other local law firms that typically have attorneys managing 80-100 cases per year, Eric and his team work diligently to represent just a handful of serious cases annually. At the end of the day, this means your settlement value is maximized, not just our law firm’s annual revenue.
8. Risk-free, 30-day guarantee. At the Kem Law Firm, Eric and his team want to ensure that you feel confident your case is being represented in the absolute best way possible, and we understand that reaching that level of trust may take a little time and effort on our part. That’s why we extend a risk-free, 30-day guarantee to all of our clients. If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with the level and quality of our services, we will allow you to break your contract with no-fee within the first 30 days, no questions asked.
9. An attorney who speaks your language. There’s nothing worse than working with an attorney who tries to obscure the facts of your case or overcomplicates your life by speaking in unnecessary and confusing legalese. Rest assured, you won’t need to study up on the law when you work with the Kem Law Firm. Eric and his team will always communicate with you in simple and plain English and will also take the time to make sure you fully understand what’s happening with your case each and every step of the way. By keeping things simple and answering your questions in a patient manner, you will not only be better informed about pertinent details of your case, but we will also save you a lot of time and stress trying to look up and understand complicated legal concepts.
10. Eric is more than your attorney, he’s your neighbor. When selecting an auto accident lawyer to represent you, it’s vital that your attorney understand you, your community, and reflect your values. Like many of his clients, Eric was born and raised in Florida, attended UF law school, and developed his competitive streak and commitment to winning playing both high-school and collegiate level tennis and soccer. What we’re getting at here is that Eric isn’t just an extremely competent and effective attorney, he’s also your neighbor and your friend. He not only understands what it means to be an active member of the Gainesville and greater Florida community, but he’s also as accessible and approachable as anyone you will meet. Unlike many attorneys, Eric never rushes his clients, makes you feel like his time is more valuable than yours, or speaks down to you. And that’s why clients of the Kem Law firm always feel welcome to call upon Eric long after their case is settled for advice or referrals on whatever legal issues they may face. At the Kem Law firm, you get a legal partner for life.
Act Now Before Insurance Companies Can Damage Your Claim
At the beginning of this guide, we wanted you to understand why it’s so important that you act quickly to secure legal representation in order to maximize your car accident claim when you’ve sustained serious injuries.
With each passing day, it becomes more and more difficult to recover the full value of your claim because:
- Your memory of events, and that of witnesses, will diminish
- You, your doctor, and other medical providers may fail to fully document the extent of your injuries as required by law
- Crucial evidence on the scene of the accident that police may have missed may be cleaned up, or simply wash away
- And most importantly, representatives from your insurance company and other at-fault parties will begin calling on you to trick you into saying something that minimizes your ability to obtain full-and-fair compensation
Remember, investigators and insurance companies, including your own, are in the business of maximizing their bottom line by paying accident victims the very least amount possible for your damages and injuries. And they’ll resort to a few dirty tricks to make that possible that we want you to be aware of now.
Tricks Insurance Companies Will Play to Minimize Your Claim
Here are just a few of the tactics insurance companies will try to use to prevent you from obtaining a full-and-fair settlement in the most expeditious way possible:
Claim they’re making a “routine check-in call” and ask for your social security number, saying “it’s required by law”. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Never, ever provide anyone who calls about your accident with your social security number, no matter how hard they try to pressure you into doing so. Your social security number can be used to obtain private information about your previous employment history, outstanding debts, or criminal history....and be leveraged against you in mediation or court to paint a picture of you as someone who is untrustworthy or unreliable.
They’ll call to say you’ve lied about pertinent details of the accident, or have exaggerated the extent of your injuries. This tactic is deployed to put you on the defensive, to see if you might overreact or divulge details that are within your rights not to share. Remember, if you want to receive the most favorable settlement offer or jury reward possible, it’s imperative that all communication with investigators and insurance companies be conducted by an attorney who won’t overreact or share details that may damage your claim.
They claim they’re making a “friendly call” to check to see if you’re feeling better, and then use whatever you say against you. Never discuss the status of your medical care with insurance providers without consulting an attorney. Better yet, let your attorney handle all of these conversations from the get-go. It may take your doctor and attorney significant time to uncover, understand, and fully document the extent of your injuries. Believe it or not, communicating something as simple as “you’re feeling much better” may prevent you from obtaining damages for any future or ongoing care that may be required for your full recovery.
They will call to recommend you see their preferred medical provider, claiming they’re the very best available. Make sure you never take an insurer up on this offer. It’s sad to say, but many doctors are in bed with insurance companies, and they will collaborate with insurers to minimize the extent of your injuries, or entirely fail to document them, so you’re later unable to receive fair compensation. Make sure you only visit doctors you trust or have experience with. When necessary, The Kem Law Firm can recommend specialists for your injuries who will work diligently with your attorney to make sure you receive not only the best possible care, but also that everything is documented appropriately under Florida law.
Calling with a far-too-quick settlement offer, and asking you to sign quickly. Insurance companies know you are injured, stressed, and starting to see medical bills pile up that you probably can’t pay today. They also know it may take several months for you to understand the full extent of your injuries and economic damages, including ongoing therapy or added expenses, like getting someone to help you prepare meals or do your yardwork. That’s why they’re very likely to make a quick settlement offer. They’ll claim it’s the “best” or “final” offer that you will receive, with the hope of leveraging your stress to get you to sign away your rights to further compensation. Remember, if you’ve been seriously injured, it will take some time for medical providers to understand and document the full extent of your injuries and the cost of your care.
Asking to record your conversation, claiming it’s “company policy” or “required by law”. Not surprisingly, these recorded statements will then be twisted or entirely taken out of context, to prevent you from maximizing your award. Never, ever provide any kind of recorded statement to any “investigators” or insurance representatives.
Needlessly dragging out the claim process, so you feel financially pressured to accept a low-ball offer. If you fail to obtain quick legal representation, you can count on insurance companies to drag out the claim process as long as humanly possible. They’ll take weeks to answer your calls or acknowledge receipt of your documented expenses, all with the hope that you will buckle under the financial strain and take their low-ball offer. The very best thing you can do is consult with an attorney as soon as humanly possible after your accident, and let them notify all related parties that they will be handling your claim. Remember, with each passing day that you fail to obtain legal representation, the ability to obtain a full-and-fair settlement is diminished.